Thursday, April 16, 2009

How to prepare for PMP exam

There is no standard way or pattern for study as everyone is different. Most of the successful PMP credential holders follow an organized preparation schedule. It’s more or less similar as below:

  • A preparation period of 2-4 months with every day 2-6 hours of study and practice.
  • Start with an easier book that is more structured and easy to read compared to PMBOK (Most of the reader finds PMBOK very dry initially). One of the easy read book could be “The PMP Exam: How to Pass On Your First Try” by Andy Crowe. But there are many other too, just read few pages in the book store or library and you will easily find.
  • Then read PMBOK (Now you will find it much easier).
  • You can try another different book (every book has its own merit and it gives a new perspective for certain topic).
  • You can revise all the books again and this time put more stress on PMBOK, as it will be much easier now.
  • Then its time to solve question paper with time limit. Initially chapter wise question solving is good but once you are quite ready its better to solve mixed question rather than those just concentrate on one topic or chapter (our mind can easily relate to things when they are from similar place or area, but real challenge starts when mix-up happens).
  • There are many free and commercial sample questions available. It’s always recommended to practice minimum 4 complete 200 question mock test.
  • Just relax before exam day and don’t try to revise all chapters.

    As every one has different study pattern some finds classroom study or listening to podcast very useful. If you are ready to spend then why don’t you try those as well, as it will definitely help.

    If you think you are not well prepared just even one week before the exam date, you can always reschedule (but do remember we don’t put effort unless there is a fixed dead line).

    All the best and wish to see you as a PMP club member very soon.

12 comments:

  1. I find it's easier to study on a schedule. My work schedule is tough since my commute is terrible, but I've found online peer/study groups through PMP study sources often help.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Pass the PMP Exam The Easy Way
    Watch Videos, Learn... and Easily Pass the Exam!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The informative videos of PMstudy are really interactive and explanatory.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. PMstudy gave me a better learning experience with best trainer and online course content. I passed the exam in my first attempt..Folks, never go by any other paid review...Believe me..PMstudy is the best..

      Delete
    2. Hi Mark,

      Even I had a pretty good experience with PMstudy though I took the assistance of course materials of some other providers as well. But I must say it all boils down to the level of preparedness of the individual.

      Pete

      Delete
  5. Thanks to PMstudy! I passed the PMP exam. The chapter, quizzes and simulation exams helped me learn my strengths & weakness.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I second Christine as far as the videos are concerned. They really add value to the whole course as it becomes so easy for us to comprehend concepts when explained through videos. PMSTUDY has done a great job.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Found this simulated test really useful http://www.pmstudy.com/enroll.asp?course=pmp&pplink=simulated-test

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Mark,

    Even I had a pretty good experience with PMstudy though I took the assistance of course materials of some other providers as well. But I must say it all boils down to the level of preparedness of the individual.

    Pete

    ReplyDelete
  9. I would strongly recommend a training via www.pmstudy.com as that will practically guarantee you crack the exam. It worked wonders for me.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hello, I have taken the online courses and given the pmp exam as well from http://www.pmstudy.com/PMP-Exam-Resources/online-free-demo.asp . This site is really helpful.

    ReplyDelete